It all started with a routine visit to Model Zone on a Saturday afternoon. You know the sort of thing. Take the 2 boys in for a browse whilst the wife and step-daughter look around BHS. Truth be told, I had a £10 Model Zone gift voucher that was burning a hole in my pocket from Christmas and yesterday seemed as good a day as any to spend it.
I had every intention of going in and getting some paint or modelling stuff, but then the Hornby section caught my eye. Some Skaledale stuff was half-price (a church, a whole bleedin’ painted church for less than £12! – doh!). I was after more walls, but found the Derelict Farm and Trackside ranges:
Totally forgetting issues of scale (SkaleDale is OO or 1/76 scale / 21/2mm and15mm is 1/107th), I was tempted by the allure of the pre-painted Derelict Stables:
Don’t be fooled by the clever photography on the box. Taking it up to the counter, I discovered that the finished piece wasn’t as dark or well shaded as first appearances suggested. But it was hollow and big enough to accomodate 1 small and 2 medium bases as well as the entire equine population of Ste. Justine-du-Mont (bonus!). Next thing I knew I was eagerly showing it to the wife in the middle of the High Street with a stupid grin on my face saying I could repaint it in no time. As the eldest boy said, it’s always good to have a project – as if I haven’t got enough on at the best of times!
Getting home, it was clear what needed to be done:
I really liked the way they’d simulated the growth of moss on the roof tiles, but the grass was way too green. That got a coat of Vallejo (079) Golden Olive:
Second, the whole barn needed taking down a tone or too. This was going to be a job for Citadel Washes. The wood on the stable doors needed a look-see as well. I watered down some Vallejo Panzer Aces (310) Old Wood and got to work. I’m not anticipating a big drama here. I want to quickly enhance the existing paint-job to make it blend in with my other stuff, not a redux from scratch.
The paint adhered well and I found out that 2-3 successive coats of slightly watered down Devlin Mud over the walls and roof quickly achieved the desired effect:
You can clearly see the difference a couple of coats make here with the wash in effect on the right:
And don’t forget to make good use of the excellent Vallejo Black primer to paint the inside:
Not happy with the final effect on the grass, I stuck a range of different types of Woodland Scenic’s clump all over it.
Job done, and it only took a couple of hours (not includng drying time!):