Painting the legendary Razvedchiki 3/3
On to the final installment. Once again, thanks to you all for the positive feedback and posts. Rex sent me some very interesting examples of amoeba pattern camouflage unearthed after the war. 3 of the rolls give you a very good idea of the original colours (anyone know what the blue was for?):
I also unearthed a few more photos of razvedchiki in action, but unless anyone has an overwhelming hankoring to see them I’ll get down to the business in hand.
I followed the advice offered by Rex and others and subtley highlighted the amoebas with thinned (149) Chocolate Brown. It’s not immediately obvious in the photos below, but it really does make a difference (by the way, I’m totally sold on thinning Vallejo paints down with their thinner, fantastic results):
Over this, I ‘dipped’ a layer of Army Painter’s Soft Tone. I wasn’t altogether impressed with the results until I dull-coted them and saw the subtleties of tone. I’d never be able to achieve this sort of effect as easily and in the same a carefree way without Soft Tone 🙂 :
The unfortunate landser got a dunking in Strong Tone as I wanted a darker contrast to the scouts and it suited the grey uniform:
My only regret with the application of Soft Tone was that the facial details and some aspects of the webbing didn’t come out as well defined as I would have like. I tried putting a small amount of Dark Tone on the faces of one of the scouts, but wasn’t happy with the effect. I had better results on water bottles and magazine pouches and thought I’d best leave it there. Overall, I’m very happy with the final effect. It hasn’t taken too long or been too arduous.
This being a reconnaissance unit, I wanted my bases to be evocative of covered, preferably wooded, terrain. Down went the Vallejo fine grey pumice which, incidentally, is starting to show its age and needed a good stir to mix what I assume was the latex with the pumice stone. Over this went a coat of Woodland Scenics’ Earth Undercoat later dry-brushed with a 50:50 mix of this and salt-of-the-earth White:
I’ve added a few twigs from the garden to represent blasted stumps / trees. I looked around at some of the nice dead fine leaf foliage from Woodland Scenics but, at £10 a box, reverted back to my existing stock of flock to mix up a colourful combination of Gale Force 9 static grass, fine dark turf and light green ‘coarse grass’ from Jarvis Scenics. Then it was a mix of MiniNatur autumnal tufts:
Probably gone over board on the scenics and obscurred the paint job! Oh well, razvedchiki done! I’ll let you know how they get on in Saturday’s game.